Masonic Latin Mottoes
MASONIC LATIN MOTTOES -
For a great page that translates from English to Latin, try this link:
http://www.sunsite.ubc.ca/LatinDictionary/ You will have to wait for the java software to load, 1/2 way down the page. Sometimes it doesn't seem to work, but the HTML vesion only supports Latin to English, not English to Latin.
- A funny and meaningful story - This latin was written by the Arch Bishop Terry Waite during his 5 yrs..chained to a radiator in Beirut. His colleague, a journalist had been kidnapped at the same time and was also in chains in the same building. A friendly guard told Terry that Brian was suffering with depression and going 'down hill' Terry asked the guard if he would pass on a latin blessing to Brian. The guard agreed and provided a pencil and paper.- the note read as follows:- " Copula eame se non posit acceptara jocularem" translation:- "F**k them if they can't take a joke!"- 3 Years later Brian keenan wrote a book about his experiences and said from that day he started to pick up and the note got him through a bad patch.
Another funny story - During 12yrs. service as a paratrooper the heirachy decided that we should cross train with the Marine Commando's. (neither outfit thought much to it, Regimental pride etc.,) When we trained in fatigues and helmets we were identical, one morning on 1st.Parade the marines showed up with their mottoe "Semper Fidelis" painted on the front of their helmets- The next day we appeared with our chosen mottoe painted on our helmets- "Semper Faeces" Always in the cr*p. The powers to be said no more motto's and in future you can wear your Beret's - green for them and our usual Red.
The para. who chose our mottoe was well educated and was famous for being arrested drunk in town,one night by the M.P.'S . The commanding officer asked him for an explanation he replied "Calix Meus Inebrians."- from the psalms of David, "my cup makes me drunk"- He was given a special room for 7 days all to himself, with bars to stop anyone stealing his kit- that's what he wrote to his mother!
Sincerely and Fraternaly, John Crust
- From Mozart - Licet Tantum Illi Qui Perstat Ad Lucis Fontem Accedere - "Only the man who perseveres may approach the source of light". by Bro. John Trenberth
- "In Hoc Signos Vinces" essentially translates to: "In His Name Conquer"
- Benevolentia Hominis Haud Metuo Fas - The Righteous Man hath no fear of the Law - submitted by Bro. Andrew Souther, Anderson, S.C.
- Semper Alere Flammam - Always Feed the Flame - submitted by Bro. Alex M., Zaragoza, (Spain)
- Habentibus symbolum facilis est transitus means:
For those who own the symbol it is easy to pass over.(those who are master of the symbol, having interiorized it)
- Si vis pacem, para bellum (if you want peace, be prepared to war)
- Veritas Odium Parit: Truth begets hatred.
- /errata corrige/: correct the mistakes
- Pene, pene epe sunforris! (drink over the disgraces! - actually Greek)
- /Deum fons et origo/ - God, the source and origin.
- /Deus fons et origo/ (Deus is the subject, so in nominative, not in accusative)
- Noli foras ire, in interiori homine habitat veritas (st. Augustin) Don't go outside, truth lies within yourself
- Nomina numina
Names are auspices (One's destiny is written in his name)
- This is greek, but I love it:
Path駑ata math駑ata - Sufferences are teachings
-Bro. Giovanni Lombardo
- "Notio bonum, visa olum." "Seemed like a good idea at the time." - Bro. David Aardappel
- "Amor Est Magis Cognitvus Quam Cognitio"
( We Know things better by Love than by intellect ) - hoot
- Solvitur Ambulando - It is solved by walking. (My new favorite!)
- Abs Patientia Veni Perfectio - With patience comes perfection.
- Konx Om Pax - which is GREEK, actually for "Light in Extention"...or "Khabs Am Pekht", which in the Egyptian language means roughly "Light in extension" or ""Light rushing out in a single ray". - Greg Goodrich
- Non Nobis, Domine - Not unto us, Lord
- perit ut vivat - He Dies in Order to Live
- V.I.T.R.I.O.L.?(Visita Interiora Terrae Rectificandoque Invenies Occultum Lapidem). "By Visiting the Inside Earth, and Rectifying it, you will find the Hidden Stone"...
- Veritas vos liberabit - The truth will set you free
- Lux et veritas - Light and truth
- Ex tenebris lux - Out of darkness, light
- Sit lux, et fuit lux - Let there be light, and there was light
- Ordo ab chao = Order from chaos.
- Laborare est orare = To labor is to pray.
- Lux e tenebris = Light from darkness.
- Noli irritare leones - Do not irritate the lion
- flamma fumo est proxima - "where there is fire, there is smoke"
(literally: fire is close to smoke").
- Non scholae sed vitae discimus - We learn not for school but for
- Deum fons et origo - God, the source and origin.
- veritas vos liberabit - The truth will set you free.
- Fiat Lux - Let There be light
- "Si Opus Quadratum vis, angulos praecidere noli..." -
- (If you want Square Work, you don't cut corners...)
- Virtus Junkxit Mors Non Separabit - Whom Virtue Unites, Death
- will not separate.
- Nil Illegitimus Carbourundum - Don't let the B*st*rds get you
- audaces fortuna iuvat - fortune favours the bold
- cogito ergo sum - I think, therefore I exist
- docendo discimus - teach in order to learn
- facta non verba - deeds, not words
- caveat emptor - Buyer Beware
- Carpe Diem - Seize the Day! (Sounds like a really cool lighter,
- Nil nisi clavis deest - Nothing is wanting but the Key
- (Bro. Andy Robertson made me find that one out myself, I like it!)
- Si talia jungere possis sit tibi scire satis - "If thou canst
- comprehend these things, thou knowest enough"
- invenimus cultor dei civis mundi - "We have found the worship of
- God, O citizen of the world."
- Donatus lucem ad fratres - Giving light to brethren? or...
- Donatam lucem ad fratres - Light given to brethren (from Bro. Giovanni Lombardo)
- Vide Aude Tace - See, Dare, Be Silent
- Vide Audi Tace - See, Hear, Be Silent
- Paternus Deus, Humana Fraternitas - Fatherhood of God,
- Brotherhood of Man
Sine Nomine - Without name
- Labore et honore, Labor and honor.
If you find other mottoes with good Masonic references, send me an email!